I was pondering what to make with leftover chicken from the other night
and what's the first thing that pops into my head?
Enchiladas!
With no enchilada sauce or chilies to be found in the house,
I turned to the interweb to find a recipe to make my own and OMG!
It turned out fabulous!
I will never buy canned enchilada sauce again!
~First, I found this recipe~
but decided to improvise with the ingredients I had on hand.
Instead of tomato sauce, I used tomato paste and 2 cups chicken stock.
And instead of green chilies, I used some roasted red peppers I had.
(the jarred kind from Trader Joes)
I started by sauteeing the onion in some olive oil, added the garlic, then the peppers.
Then I added the paste and the herbs and let that all cook for a couple minutes.
THEN I added the stock.
Once it got to a boil, I added just a little bit of Wondra flour to thicken it.
Once it cooked for a few minutes and thickened, I removed the sauce from the heat
and blended it with my trusty hand blender.
But do you think I actually took a photo of the sauce?
Of course not.
I'm really flaky about taking pics of every step.
~For the enchilada filling~
I sauteed some sweet onions and removed a bunch of chicken from the leftover carcass
(nice word, huh?)
and added that to the pan.
I also added just about a tablespoon of taco seasoning,
more cumin and a little water and let it simmer.
~To assemble~
I added some sauce to the filling,
coated each side of the tortillas with the sauce then added more caramelized onions,
roasted peppers & cheese to each then rolled 'em on up.
On top went more sauce and cheese and in the oven it baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
I can honestly say
THESE were the BEST enchiladas I've ever had!!
and my oldest friend & the boyfriend agreed!
WooHoo!!

we will be right over
ReplyDeleteBenny & Lily