Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Chartreuse Green and Black!!!

I am tired and sore and ready for bed, but all that yard work today was SO worth it! Janice, my mother-in-law-tbd (too be some day) came over and helped me work away in our yard. We got the bed on the east side of the house done in my favorite colors: chartreuse green & black! Remember the before photo?

And now the after!!

We have a white dogwood tree and a dark purple smokebush at each end of the bed. Then black & white lily bulbs were planted all along the back for height. A gorgeous euphorbia takes center stage with green & black heucheras along the front. And purple & green spike barberries offset from the euphorbia. SO gorgeous! I can't wait until later this summer when everything has grown in and is in bloom - it's going to look so pretty!



We also dug up some monster hostas and transplanted them to other areas of the yard. Then we decided we needed to remove an old, overgrown butterly bush, which opened up an area next to the chimney which was a perfect location for my beautiful potting bench that Jan built for me! She even painted it a lovely lime green to match my garden.


When trying to transplant a monterey cypress from a less than adequate pot, we found an old square pot that had cracked & broken over the winter. So instead of throwing it away, we used it as a planter in front of a tall cedar tree in my cedar bed. It turned out so cute!


A couple other items we got accomplished today were moving 2 of the boxwoods I had removed the other day up into my urns that flank each side of our property up at the main road. Then we planted peas, beans, garlic & squash in the garden and propagated a TON of baby hellebores. It was a fun day and I am so thankful for Jan's help. Next i can't wait to buy all my annuals and perennials for the rest of my pots. But because of the crazy weather we've been having, I'm being extra careful and waiting until the end of April - just in case! ;-)



1 comment:

Hi my fabulous friends! I LOVE your comments, so post away and I promise I read each and every one of them - you and your comments brighten my day!